Last night I went to a work dinner with Piero and his colleagues. Previous dinners with the bank have been in strange locations and haven't always been the best so I really didn't have high hopes as we drove to Fiumicino, the city on the beach where the airport is located.
We had a set menu including antipasti, primi, secondi, e dolci. The antipasti included fried shrimp, calamari, tempura vegetables, octopus salad and steamed mussels. They were all delicious. Seriously they were great. Then arrived a plate with two types of pasta - one a thick round noodle in a light red sauce and chunks of fish on top, the other a small tortellini with cheese in a tomato cream sauce. I want to swim in a plate of that tortellini and creamy tomato sauce. Then they brought a giant tuna steak that was cooked perfectly and seasoned with a great salt. I must learn to use good salts in the kitchen. Finally, they delivered a lovely plate of apple pie and vanilla ice cream with a small taste of vin santo. Heaven!
I write often about going to Tavola Azzurra 2 in Santa Marinella, which is fantastic, but I have to say that Sfizi di Mare is definitely a competitor for top seafood restaurant around.
We arrived in the center of Fiumicino on Viale delle Meduse in the middle of what can only be described as a city a bit tired. Fiumicino is old, run down and forgotten. Sure plenty of Romans go there for the beach each weekend during the summer, but tourists should not. Not unless you're going to Sfizi di Mare.
This restaurant was a complete surprise. They have the set up right. We were in 12 and sat at a long, candle-lit table on the patio. You can't even see the sea from here, but once they start bringing the food you won't care where you are.
We had a set menu including antipasti, primi, secondi, e dolci. The antipasti included fried shrimp, calamari, tempura vegetables, octopus salad and steamed mussels. They were all delicious. Seriously they were great. Then arrived a plate with two types of pasta - one a thick round noodle in a light red sauce and chunks of fish on top, the other a small tortellini with cheese in a tomato cream sauce. I want to swim in a plate of that tortellini and creamy tomato sauce. Then they brought a giant tuna steak that was cooked perfectly and seasoned with a great salt. I must learn to use good salts in the kitchen. Finally, they delivered a lovely plate of apple pie and vanilla ice cream with a small taste of vin santo. Heaven!
I write often about going to Tavola Azzurra 2 in Santa Marinella, which is fantastic, but I have to say that Sfizi di Mare is definitely a competitor for top seafood restaurant around.


No comments:
Post a Comment