There is a wonderful concept throughout Italy known as the aperitivo. The idea can be found throughout the world, but I am pretty sure that Italy does it best. In America there is the “happy hour” but never have I been so happy to partake in this multi-hour ritual in America as I am in Italy.
The concept is flawless – you go to your favorite local watering hole (normally between 6 and 9 in the evening) and pay somewhere between 6 and 10 Euros for a glass of wine, mojito or the local favorite, negroni. With your purchase of this refreshment, you are welcome at any time to go up to the bar and grab a plate of finger foods, pastas and cheeses. Every bar is different in their offerings, but no matter where you go, you will undoubtedly get your fill. However, there are a few places in Florence that, in my mind, raise the bar. (Pun intended.)
First I fell in love with overall atmosphere of Golden View Open Bar. Golden View is actually divided into three different sections, all of them lovely. There is a restaurant, piano bar and finally the bar bar. The back wall is a wall of windows that overlook Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery, giving even more atmosphere to the already charming environment. The food is great, as well.
As picture perfect as Open Bar is, my favorite spot of all is called Kitsch. There are two locations, but I prefer the one in Piazza Beccaria. Kitsch lays out an amazing spread consisting of multiple pastas, grilled veggies, varieties of meats and, here’s the kicker, fish! The food is great and the atmosphere isn’t so bad either. It is a warm and cozy little place especially in the rainy Florence winters.
There are aperitivos throughout the city and I am sure there are many wonderful spots I have yet to discover. I just wanted to share with you the concept so you make sure to check it out whenever you find yourself in Florence. Buon appetito!

No comments:
Post a Comment