Saturday, July 14, 2012

I Miss the Dryer

I've gotten used to living without some every-day appliances such as a toaster, microwave, air conditioning, etc. All things I could go out and buy, but have now lived two years without. However, this is one thing I miss immensely. The clothes dryer!


I'm not complaining. It's part of the beauty of living in Italy. But each and every time I do laundry, I dread hanging up my clothes to dry. It's just something I am not used to and don't really want to get used to. I want a dryer!

Few houses have them as they use a lot of energy. In fact at the big appliances stores, they have a million models of washing machines and fridges, but usually one 2 or 3 different dryers available. And when you think of Italy anyway, isn't that one of the iconic images you have of the country as a whole? Colorful clotheslines traversing small alleyways between Renaissance buildings? Okay, so my system may not be as pretty, but at least I don't have to hang out the window to do it. 

1 comment:

  1. I was always scared to go into our basement on Vermont to wash and dry my clothes.

    ReplyDelete