Friday, August 10, 2012

My Two Year Anniversary with Italy

I arrived in Italy August 6, 2010 after 36 hours of travel hell with two big bags and absolutely no clue what I was doing. I remember arriving at Andrea's house in a cab, ready to collapse and in no way ready to speak Italian or try to communicate with him or anyone else. He fed me my first meal in Italy - some sort of amazing pasta I'm sure but don't quite remember - then I managed to stay in a jet lag/pasta coma for a few days.

Very first night in Florence. Nancy, Tullio, me, Andrea
(at 5 a.m. in the morning)
I remember meeting Nancy that first day and walking around Florence with her listening to her stories and making mental notes of the streets. Then in the following months wandering around aimlessly getting lost, meeting locals, using horrific Italian and being blissfully happy. I was living on my own, finding work in a foreign place and making new friends. The streets became more familiar, the language more recognizable and the people more like family.

In two years a lot has happened. There's no possible way I could describe every change or list every event that has taken place. I can't begin to explain to you how much I have learned about myself and my limits, grown and changed in these two years. They have been the absolute happiest, hardest, and most unsure yet exciting time of my entire life. I've been challenged daily with being a half a world away from my family and friends, not living in my culture and not being 100 percent understood. But I have also felt the pure joy of seeing the Ponte Vecchio every single day while walking across "my bridge" on my way to work, doing my everyday shopping in the shadows of the Pantheon, and riding on the back of a motorcycle through the vineyards in Chianti after a three-hour lunch with a lovely Italian man.

I have been through my honeymoon stage with Italy and come out of it feeling like a local - being able to point out the many reasons why Italy is incredible, as well as the just as many reasons why it's not. I can now look at this country for what it is, take the bad with the good and still keep plugging along.

It would take a book to explain it all so instead, I will quickly put it into some numbers for the sake of time and laziness.

So after 734 days, here are just a few approximations.

The Number of Times I've:

Been asked, "Why did you come to Italy?"              550
Heard, "Sei bellissima!" on the street                       200
Hung my laundry out to dry                                      195
Crossed "my bridge"                                                 700
Eaten pizza                                                                100
Used a microwave                                                       2
Riden on the back of a scooter or motorcycle             250
Craved mexican food                                                   600
Driven a car                                                                 4
Had dreams about being home                                      50
Felt like I'm living in a movie                                         600
Fallen in love                                                               1
Cried my heart out                                                       40
Felt absolutely alone                                                  300
Felt absolutely loved                                                  300
Felt like the luckiest person alive                          every single day





12 comments:

  1. Heart sigh, the life of and expat. love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing your feeling:)))

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my hero, Sal. I mean that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A PERFECT way to summarize the past two years! Love you girl, and I can't wait to see you soon!!!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A PERFECT way to summarize the past two years! Love you girl, and I can't wait to see you soon!!!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Sal!! Wish I could see you when you're home but I'm not going to be in kc :( miss and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this sal!! Wish I could see you when you're home but won't be in kc :( miss and love you girl! Xoxo

    Schuler

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're incredible! Don't know many other people that would be able to do what you have done and continue to do! Keep living your dream and hope to see you when you are back home for a few weeks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I enjoyed reading your post because it reminds me of my own experience!! I arrived in Italy to live in May 2010...after resisting every attempt by my Pugliese husband until that point to relocate here! We live in Imola, so not too far from Florence in fact. The last part of the above entry is particularly relevant to me , "The number of times I"...ohhh yessss. I wish we could all view our own countries the way foreigners see them, then we'd all learn to value our own cultural attributes more. Thanks for this! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading this, to understand what it's like to be an expat in Tuscany a little better. Will have to have a look through the rest of your posts too!

    My boyfriend is from Florence, and I am currently in the transitional phase to moving there (he can't stand being in Australia too much longer!) I'm at https://withitalianlove.blogspot.com if you'd like to check out my story!

    ReplyDelete