Friday, July 20, 2012

American Breakfast in Rome

Buongiorno!

No matter where you go in Italia, you are likely to start your day - whether sightseeing, working or doing absolutely nothing - with the Italian breakfast. Many Italians have breakfast outside at the bar down the street or near their work and a typical breakfast includes a cafè and a "pasta". If you order a "cafè" you are ordering an espresso, which is the most typical way Italians drink coffee. My other favorites: cafè macchiato = an espresso with a drop of streamed milk (my favorite in the morning); cappuccino = shot of espresso with mostly steamed milk (they serve it at room temperature, not piping hot, nor do Italians drink/order it after lunchtime. the milk blocks digestion).

And the "pasta" is any variation of a cornetto, brioche, roll or danish.

This is all fine and dandy and I partake in the Italian breakfast on a daily basis minus the pasta. It's too sweet for me in the morning. I come from Kansas City. I am used to eating biscuits with sausage gravy, steak and eggs or leftover cold pizza for breakfast. None of this girly danish business.

Just kidding. But I do enjoy having my own American-style breakfast. My typical breakfast at home includes espresso with steamed or cold milk, and fruit or cereal. I make my espresso in the Moka, which is this fun little machine. You put water in the bottom, the ground espresso beans in the little thing in the middle, then screw on the top and place it over a small flame on the stove. When it's done, you'll hear it gurgling. I have to have my coffee in my favorite coffee mug, which was a Christmas present from my sister-in-law Colleen's parents two years ago and made by Colleen's very talented Aunt Debbie. If anyone else tries to use it I get all pre-schooly "that's my crayon!" possessive and non-sharey. And my typical breakfast is fresh fruit with yogurt, however, I have been on a Kellogg's Corn Flakes kick lately. 

As far as eggs go, the omelette is quite popular and is known as a "frittata" and quite often eaten for lunch or dinner. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I can so relate. I do enjoy cappuccino and cornetto, but as an American, I'm used to having more of a hearty breakfast. I make pancakes, French toast, eggs, omelets, oatmeal and (sometimes) grits. I'm from the South, can you tell? ;-) We usually have a side of fresh fruit, too. I am also currently on a Kellogg's Corn Flakes kick ... I have two boxes sitting in the cabinet, and that's actually what I had for breakfast this morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Sometimes I make eggs but most of the time I don't even think about it. I saw a box of pancake mix the other day and was tempted to buy it but am going to save that until I can bring back syrup from the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've brought syrup back and we've also received it in a few care packages, but I saw that Castroni here in Rome carries syrup (although a bit expensive). Have you been to Castroni? They have several locations in Rome, and carry a variety of expat foods.

    ReplyDelete