Friday, July 13, 2012

Pea & Sun-dried Tomato Risotto with Truffle Oil

Last year my friend, Kamila, made me dinner at her home near the Ponte Vecchio in Florence and I have tried to recreate it several times since. She experimented with a risotto using frozen peas and green beans, sun-dried tomatoes, truffle oil, parmesano and prosecco. It was delicioso!

I got it in my head that I just had to make it and went to the grocery store post haste. I decided to try it with peas, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, truffle oil and white wine. First I'll tell you what I did, then what I should have done.


First, I cooked the chicken breast on the stove. Then, I diced half a red onion and sauteed it in a small amount of olive oil in a large pan, and at the same time made a vegetable broth in a small pot. Then I added the rice directly to the onions and let it soak up the oil before adding liquid. After a minute I added about a cup of white wine. Then I added a very small amount of the truffle oil, and salt and pepper. For 10 minutes I alternated adding small amounts of chicken broth and stirring. Mostly I let it sit covered on the stove and cook. When the rice was about 5 minutes from being done, I added more salt and pepper and the peas. Right before taking it off the stove I added the cooked, diced chicken breast and sun-dried tomatoes.


It was good, not great. I put too much pepper in it. The next time I make it I will skip the chicken and sun-dried tomatoes, add less pepper, and stock it full of peas, green beans and artichoke hearts. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment