Monday, July 16, 2012

Farmers Market

In Italy, you can generally find the farmers market every day and anywhere you go. Within a 20 minute walk of my house there are 4 or 5 large stands or shops along the street with fresh fruits and vegetables. Other people in Rome would probably say there are 10-15 stands within a 20 minute walk from their house, but I live in the burbs thus I walk farther.


Can we talk about how excited I am by this spread?! I did my shopping today after two hours at the gym and not having eaten all day. So instead of just buying some fruit as planned, I kind of went wild. I about fell out of my shoes when I saw the ears of corn. After the corn I saw potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant. In the fruit category I found cantaloupe, figs, bananas, and giant kiwi.

As I walked home I decided the only logical thing to do at that point would be to buy two giant steaks plus some pizza bianca. Pizza bianca is the white fluffy bread you see at the left. It's all buttery and salty and delicious and way worse for you than regular bread. To drink, I have a nice bottle of Bolgheri I have been saving for a special occasion.

How much does a dinner like this cost, you might ask. Here's the bill:

Fruits and Veggies: 7,70 euro
Two giant steaks: 12,50
Bread: 2,50 
Wine: Gift from my fabulous friend Gaby
Total: 22,70 (11,35 per person)

No comments:

Post a Comment