I have been craving some good, old-fashioned American fare lately and decided to get in the kitchen and make something happen.
Earlier this week I wanted something cold with protein that wasn't fish so decided on deviled eggs. Random I know but it hit the spot. I just mixed the yolk with mayo, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and paprika - all things you can find at any grocery store in Italy. That was ultimately the deciding factor. I didn't have anything else to church them up, but they turned out alright.
Tonight I had to make do with what I have at home as all of the grocery stores within 10 kilometers are closed on Sundays and I am without a car. I decided on sausage stuffed peppers. Really it was the only option other than pasta. I always have giant bell peppers in the summer and am stocked with two boxes of Uncle Ben's (only available in the teeny tiny ethnic section at Italian grocery stores). Plus I have an insane amount of sausage from Puglia in my freezer, made at my friend's...slaughter house (is that PC? Well that's what it is). They turned out great! I wish I had made more.
Here's what I did.
Stuffing:
Mince shallots and garlic and brown in a small amount of olive oil
Dice a quarter of a red pepper and add to pan
Add sausage innards
Season with salt, pepper and oregano and cook until brown
Add a half cup water (I don't really measure because I have no measuring spoons or cups)
And half cup rice(maybe more)
Bring to oil then cover and remove from heat
Halve and clean a large bell pepper (I used yellow)
Boil the halves for 5-7 minutes and remove from water
Stuff the pepper halves with the sausage and rice mixture and shave fresh parmesano on top. Bake for 15-20 min. I don't know what temperature I baked them at because my oven only has one temperature. But it was delicious!
The wine is a white called Sannino Falanghina from the Mastroberardino winery. It's decent, can't complain!


No comments:
Post a Comment