Florence has undergone some incredible changes since the young, 37-year-old Matteo Renzi took up as mayor a few years ago. Some are good, some bad. I will leave the political comments to others.
While in Florence this past weekend, I found a colorful demonstration aimed at the mayor in Piazza della Passera (my old hood) voicing opinions about Renzi's decision to redirect Florence's traffic through tiny little side streets and neighborhoods such as this one just across the Ponte Vecchio.
What I appreciate most about this besides the color scheme, is the attempt at sarcasm in the first poster on the left. Sarcasm isn't something you get from Italians on a daily basis. In fact, it's very rare. "Cool stuff!"
Hi Sally!
ReplyDeleteI learned something interesting living here for the past 10 months about Italian humour. My friend told me that depending on which region you're in, their sense of humour changes. She also said sarcasm is very rare in Florence, almost non-existent! But I live in Terni (Umbria) and holy crap, they are so sarcastic that sometimes I don't even know when they are being serious or not! I thought it was kinda strange that not only does the language and food change from region to region, but also the sense of humour! Weird!
....enjoy your blog! =)
Theresa
Good to know, Theresa! Maybe I should look into moving there as I'm very sarcastic! I only know that in Florence, you're right, it was non-existant. :)
Delete