House of Ham.
Prosciutto is one of my dietary staples here in Italy and one of those things that makes Italian life that much sweeter.
Mostly eaten "crudo" or uncooked, this tasty treat can be found on menus throughout Tuscany and is often served as an "antipasto" with melon or cheese. While it is delicious, I should probably try to cut back on my personal prosciutto intake. Otherwise I risk my own thighs beginning to resemble the giant chunks of meat.
However unattractive that may be, I just couldn't resist the temptation when someone suggested we take a drive and visit the House of Prosciutto. I'm in. There are several different "Casa del Prosciutto" in the area. One is located on the main road leading out of Florence and through Fiesole. It is more of a road-side restaurant where you can sit and ham it up with the locals. The one I visited is located along side a lazy river in the Mugello - the area located about 45 minutes to the north of Florence and is known for being the home of the Medicis and several famous Renaissance artists.
You enter the tiny little shop with a select variety of local ham, cheese, and other meats and vegetables. They have prosciutto hanging from the wood-beam ceilings and shelves of other local goodies you can take to stock your pantries.
We grabbed a plate of assorted prosciutto and cheese, a bag of fresh schiaciatta bread (basically focaccia on steriods), and a bottle of house red wine and headed for the outdoor picnic tables to feast.
Throw in a liter bottle of house wine delivered from gas-station like pumps built into the walls and a few plastic cups and you have yourself a fine feast.
Buon appetito!
Prosciutto is one of my dietary staples here in Italy and one of those things that makes Italian life that much sweeter.
Mostly eaten "crudo" or uncooked, this tasty treat can be found on menus throughout Tuscany and is often served as an "antipasto" with melon or cheese. While it is delicious, I should probably try to cut back on my personal prosciutto intake. Otherwise I risk my own thighs beginning to resemble the giant chunks of meat.
However unattractive that may be, I just couldn't resist the temptation when someone suggested we take a drive and visit the House of Prosciutto. I'm in. There are several different "Casa del Prosciutto" in the area. One is located on the main road leading out of Florence and through Fiesole. It is more of a road-side restaurant where you can sit and ham it up with the locals. The one I visited is located along side a lazy river in the Mugello - the area located about 45 minutes to the north of Florence and is known for being the home of the Medicis and several famous Renaissance artists.
You enter the tiny little shop with a select variety of local ham, cheese, and other meats and vegetables. They have prosciutto hanging from the wood-beam ceilings and shelves of other local goodies you can take to stock your pantries.
Throw in a liter bottle of house wine delivered from gas-station like pumps built into the walls and a few plastic cups and you have yourself a fine feast.
Buon appetito!


Oh Em Gee. I cannot believe I am about to say this, but YUMMO.
ReplyDeleteI think I will have to have some prosciutto for lunch today!
ReplyDeleteI was delighted to be able to join in with this great new linky party, even if my post was rather different from what you might have expected. Had I known beforehand I would have rescheduled, but then it is real life, it is part of La Dolce Vita.