Monday, July 18, 2011

Got some time for Settignano?

Ever since I was hanging out with Sting at La Villa Gamberaia a few weeks ago, I have been wanting to explore a bit more of the area of Settignano. Generally in the mornings (okay maybe twice a week) I get up and walk through the hills of southern Florence. For about an hour and a half, I explore the beautiful hills and villas of the hidden streets laying just outside the old city walls. I can't tell you how many houses up there I am one day planning on buying.



Settignano, on the other hand, lies to the northeast of Florence and is a bit farther than I usually venture. However, I have the time and the willpower so I figured, why the heck not.


I set off with my camera, phone, 15 Euros, a bus ticket (just in cases for the way back), a hat and sunglasses. I walked down the river and turned north outside the city towards Settignano and through a neighborhood I really wanted to check out as well. I found myself climbing through small side streets and up some freaky one-way roads, but finally made it to the main piazza. There really isn't too much to tell as there was nobody around and nothing open. I walked a bit farther to check out La Villa Gamberaia again but the gates were closed and I was too thirsty to ring the bell and sweet talk my sweaty butt into getting in and taking pictures.

I walked around a bit, grabbed a bottle of water, and actually opted for walking back to Florence instead of taking the bus. So 4 hours and one major sunburn later (forgot the sunscreen), I got home and slept the rest of the afternoon and am now resting my legs for an eternity.

Enjoy the photos here!

PS - You can also just take the #10 bus from Piazza San Marco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment