Monday, August 30, 2010

Non Vedo L'Ora

I can't wait!


Literally, "non vedo l'ora," means, "I cannot see the hour." But you wouldn't say, "Non posso aspettare," in Italian, which literally means, "I am not able to wait."


And to confuse you more, there's really nothing that I'm THAT excited about I had to title this blog post with it. It's just one of my new favorite expressions I am trying to remember and I wanted to teach to you. So sike!


Of course there are things I'm looking forward to. For instance, I think I might buy a bike today. I've been nervous to go in the bike shop and talk bikes with the guy selling them. I only just remembered that then I have to actually ride it through the streets of Florence after that. Audible gulp. But it will be much nicer than having to walk everywhere, which then includes blisters, black feet (if wearing sandals), and hopefully less sweating all day everyday. (Although the weight loss count is getting higher - yeah!)


Also I am looking forward to meeting Lorenzo, the little boy I will speak English to, hopefully later this week. Then on the 6th, I will be going on a wine tour with Tuscan Trails and hopefully get a job as a tour guide. Other than that I'm pretty much excited for new adventures all the time.


Not too much has happened since my last report except going out with Nancy and Andrea a few times and meeting more of their friends. Saturday day I got to see Natalie and Brian Wellington who had about 3.5 hours in Florence during their Tour de Med. I ran them through town to see David, the Bapistry and Duomo, open-air market, quick pizza lunch and then Ponte Vecchio before returning them to their group. It was so fun - thanks Natalie and Brian!


Not too much else to report so here are some random thoughts for you:


1. The Italians are very....open and ...honest. For my first couple of weeks here, I couldn't go anywhere without someone commenting on how I have a nice "form" and am a woman who isn't scared to eat. Shut up, stupid honest Italians! Luckily I haven't heard that in a while and am shedding some lbs. I mean if that's not motivation, I don't know what is.


2. I've started to buy a few things for myself - clothing wise - and am really having fun dressing more like an Italian. Wearing clothes and accessories I've never worn before. But I'm going to go ahead and say that I still look very non-Italian.


3. Mmmm sushi. Found a great spot by my house, but unfortunately it's a little on the pricey side.


4. I much prefer my days with nothing to do. It's 2:25 here and I have literally been sitting at the kitchen table working on social media content and statistical analytics tools for my new job since about 8:30. Someone please remind me why I am not on a beach in Sardinia right now.


5. My Italian is improving daily - the other night, without even realizing it, I said something to Andrea in "perfect" Italian and very quickly to boot. He stopped me and started saying, "brava!"


6. My contributions to Italy so far include: Flip Cup, Screw the Dealer and Golf (all drinking games). You're welcome, Italy.


7. The mosquitos are like birds and they aren't afraid to attack you in your sleep.


I'll stop for now because this is lame. But I need to start writing things down as they happen. There are quite a few things that happen that I try to remember to share with you, but then I lose them. Oh, here's one speaking of language improvement: We were at a long table Saturday night with a bunch of people sitting around. This guy leans over and asks, "Sai que cosa stanno facendo in piazza?" I responded, in horrible Italian, that no, I have not had pizza but want to very much. Everyone just kind of looked at me. Maybe because he asked me if I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THE SQUARE! Stupid girl with good form - always thinking about food.


And here's a link to my blog for work where I'll discuss Florence in general - everything from food mostly, to the arts, nightly events, wine, etc. I'm not going to repeat blog entries so if you want to follow both, feel free! apartmentsflorenceit.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have laughed so much lately as I did at your "stupid girl with good form" anecdote!

    (These experiences will make a great book...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! You sound like you are having so much fun!! I would LOVE to take you up on that offer to visit this December. You don't think I'll have child services called on me if I leave to visit you immediately after giving birth to my first born do you? All your talk and photos of delicious food is making me foam at the mouth. Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go microwave a lean pocket.

    Miss you lots!!! XOXO

    P.S. It was nice of you to make the trip alllll the way out to Ft. Lauderdale for Kylies bachelorette party...you look great in all the pics.

    ReplyDelete