Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Week

The first week has been busier than I imagine.  Which really makes me sound much busier than I am. First of all, having roommates is the best thing I could have done. And I simply lucked out with the ones I have. They've been so nice to include me in plans and help me out. Andrea even took me across town to get a phone and help me set up the plan. I literally could not have done it without him.

Originally I was very excited this week because my friend Tommaso invited me to Lucca on Friday for the Buena Vista Social Club concert. Then Monday, Andrea found out that he doesn't have to work on Friday, so he invited Nancy and I to join him at his friend's new apartment in Sardinia this weekend. Yes please! Andrea and I leave today after he gets home from work and take the scooter an hour to Livorno, then an overnight ferry to the island. Nancy has to work Friday and will join us Saturday morning. The three of us are traveling separately home because of work and non-work, so I decided I would take an overnight ferry back Monday night - not to miss the Ferragosto parties on a beach in Sardinia Sunday night. Ferragosto is a day of celebration each year on August 15th. Originally it signaled the end of summer and end of long, hot days in the field. Now, it is celebrated with music, food, fireworks and some sort of water fight on the beach...?

Sardinia
----

I'm trying to get up in the mornings for two-hour walks/runs (mostly walking, let's get real) throughout town. All four days I've done this, I have taken a different path (often due to being lost) but each time climb up to Piazzale Michelangelo. Google this now. I always tell myself I'm going to count the steps up to it but I get too distracted by my inability to breathe. Anyway before I headed up there the other day, I passed an older gentleman on the street and just said, "buongiorno!" He smiled so big and stopped me to talk for a few minutes. He's a lawyer for a Tuscan real estate group that specializes in sales to Americans, which I only know because I googled him. Anyway, he asked me to be a language partner for him - meet him occasionally to practice my Italian and so he can practice English.

I met with Vanni the avvocato (lawyer - pronounced like the Mexican vegetable. It's a vegetable right?) and practiced Italian for about an hour, then I went to dinner with Andrea and Nancy, which is where the real lesson occurred. Andrea told us we were all invited to dinner at Luca's house. Luca and his brother Fabio are friends of Andrea's uncle. So the three of us had dinner with Luca, Fabio and their friend Marco on Luca's rooftop terrace last night. It started off with prosecco and mojitos - they poured a glass of each for everyone. Then Luca brought the first course which was a cold risotto with hot dog, olives and a few other things I was unable to identify. It was so good. Then we had a caprese salad, beef carpaccio, melone e prosciutto (cantaloupe and prosciutto) with multiple bottles of wine, then for dessert, grappa infused cherries, blackberry pie and some homemade pastries Andrea's grandma sent him yesterday. I should have taken a picture of the food! Instead I have a picture of the group.

Standing: Andrea, Marco, me
Sitting: Luca, Nancy, Fabio
Then Nancy and I accidentally stopped in Santo Spirito on our way home then stayed up too late. I just took out the trash at 5 p.m. so when they get home from work, I will appear to have been productive today.

---

On the job front, I spoke to someone yesterday and the conversation was promising. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to jinx it. But he, like everyone else, basically said that he would contact me again at the end of August. So I'm hanging tight.

---

I'll post some pictures of Sardinia when I return.

Arrivaderci!

No comments:

Post a Comment