Friday, February 24, 2012

San Giovanni in Laterano

It feels a bit like cheating to include churches amongst my list of attractions for exploring "Rome on a budget" seeing as every time you turn around you run face first into one. But there is a healthy list of the more notable, or important, churches that I am making a point to check out.

San Giovanni in Laterano
Today I decided on San Giovanni in Laterano (St. John Lateran), which is the oldest and most important of the four Papal Basilicas of Rome and dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. It is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Rome, of which the Pope is Bishop, thus making it the cathedral church of the world. 

Constantine is credited with helping establish the basilica in 318 and since then the church has gone through numerous re-structurings, plunders, fires, and restorations. If you want more info, here are links to the Vatican's web site and Wikipedia. I will, however, be happy to share with you my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment