Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanks, Mom

Leave it to  Mom to write and say, "Sal, you haven't posted a blog in a while." Literally that's all the email said.

It's true though. I haven't posted in a while, but in that time a lot has happened. So much so that I haven't had time to sit down and write much of anything, including emails. So first, to those who know me, sorry for being out of touch.

In the last few months, I have been working 5-7 days a week and doing a multitude of tasks. I work part time in a shoe store (that has no Internet and really no customers considering it's the size of a shoe box and each of the 10 pairs of shoes in the store costs at least 300 Euros) and part time as the personal assistant for an American chef and author who has been living in Italy for more than 30 years, Faith Willinger.  She is the authority on Italian cuisine, travel, the best people, chefs, restaurants, recipes, olive oil, hotels, etc. Faith Willinger is the bomb. Look 'er up. I have absolutely loved what I'm doing for her, which consists of organizing her home office, but also leading three of her five food tours.

Right now, I am also looking forward to getting home for Christmas. The weather in Florence just turned Christmas cold and the city is getting ready its fabulous street lights and breath-taking window displays ready for the holiday invaders. Soon there will be the Christmas market in Piazza Santa Croce, with fun Christmas wares and even more fun bratwurst and mulled wine. But even with all this going on, I just can't wait to get back to KC to see family and friends, especially my little niece, Maggie, who turns 1 tomorrow.

So that's a very general update. I have much more going on that I can't wait to share with people when the time is right, but it ain't now. So stay tuned. First, I want to share a little story about being in Rome last weekend.

------

Last weekend I went down to Rome to stay with a friend who is currently there for work. I stayed Friday through Tuesday and spent a great weekend running around. Friday I had things I wanted to do all over the city so spent the day running around on the metro and giving myself a blister wearing out my beautiful new black boots. Saturday and Sunday were uneventful but wonderful days spent at Santa Marinella, a small beach town near Civitavecchia. Monday, while my friend was at work, I decided to play tourist and hopped on the regional train to take me into Rome for the day.

Villa Borghese/Borghese Gardens
Spanish Steps
Seafood at Santa Marinella
Santa Marinella after lunch
My Monday plan was to head to the Colosseum and explore the newly-opened underground complex of the 2,000-year-old structure (started by emperor Vespasian in 72 AD an finished under Titus in 80 AD). Instead, as the train made its way into southern Rome, I looked out the window at the stop "San Pietro" and bolted for the door. In the several times I have been to Rome, I have never once set food inside Saint Peter's Cathedral at the Vatican. The first time I was wearing shorts and the second, third and fourth time, I was just lazy and always vowed, "I'll do it next time." The last time I was in the neighborhood, I opted to make the trek through the Vatican Museums and see the Sistine Chapel instead. Definitely don't regret that one.


I walked into the giant square in front of St. Peter's and jumped in line. Moving quickly, I was standing in the portico of the church in less than 30 minutes. (Also mid-November is a great time to travel in Italy. Weather is wonderful, food is fantastic and tourist numbers are down.) I purchased a headset and went in. Immediately inside the door I was dumbstruck. I saw people snapping pictures all around me and decided to take one but it just didn't capture what I was seeing. It is the most beautiful church I have ever seen and easily one of the most beautiful man-made structures I have ever laid eyes on.


After exploring the inside, I decided to go for it and climb the cupola overlooking the city. It was more than 558 steps, a couple bouts of dizziness and claustrophobia later, that I was at the top and looking out over Rome.

Walking inside the cupola
Finally made it!

Day Total:
Daily unlimited pass for regional train, Rome metro and bus: 7 Euros
Entrance to St. Peters: Free
Headset in English at St. Peter's: 5 Euros
Climb to the top of the cupola: 5 Euros
Total 17 Euros for a priceless experience.

Round it up to an even 20 if you count the sandwich I got afterward at Via del Gesu, or the Street of Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, girlfriend. Keep the updates coming!
    Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. x

    ReplyDelete