I had been to Venice once before on a short weekend trip during my summer abroad in Florence. I went with a handful of other students and stayed in a hostel and basically just walked around. I remember only a few things about Venice from that trip. I recall that it I was constantly lost, that it smelled like still canal water and that it was beautiful. I also seem to remember some good Chinese food by the train station that helped to cure my hangover induced the night before by some rowdy Canadians. But that's irrelevant.
This trip to Venice, I had tickets to see James Taylor in Piazza San Marco, found a cute and affordable hotel just blocks away from the famous piazza and had a great travel companion. We hopped off the train and bought a map. Even with the thing unfolded and spread out in front of us while walking, we still managed to get incredibly lost. Our frustration was placated upon arriving at our hotel. A charming boutiquy spot located in a silent piazza. We checked in and found that the cheapest room we found online turned out to be quite the residence. It has a nice comfy bed, TV, A/C, huge closet and giant beautiful bathroom. I would highly recommend the Hotel La Fenice et Des Artistes for a budget-friendly, quality stay in Venice.
That evening we grabbed an aperitivo near the piazza and we very rudely treated by the waiters and definitely overcharged. And one of us was Italian! After the drink, we found our seats and caught James Taylor in the middle of a downpour. He was fantastic as always, even in the rain. After James we were again disappointed at our treatment and service at two different locations near the piazza. We were denied the use of a restroom (which is actually illegal in a public place like a bar or restaurant, just so you know) and then found a terrible and overpriced meal at a quiet little side street restaurant. We weren't very impressed with Venice at this point.
Venice is beautiful, yes. And there is no other place in the world like it (apart from the Venetian in Vegas). However, in my eyes it is overpriced, crowded, confusing, full of unfriendly people and kinda stinky. I'm glad I have been there and seen it, but doubt I will ever make the trip back.
This is just one girl's two cents on Venice. My opinion really means nothing at all. Everyone's experiences are different. And I realize this isn't the rosiest of blogs I have given you, but it wasn't much of a rosy experience.
Bummer! I know it is disappointing to have experiences like this in Italy. As you know, I have them often here in Florence, but the last time I went to Venice I really enjoyed it. I also found Murano to be so adorable. It really is a shame that the cities here can be so hit or miss.
ReplyDeleteI think the key for our trip to Venice was that we did book a fantastic apartment (I will send you the company name for your clients) and the lady that checked us in gave us some insider tips and really good advice on how to avoid the crowds and complicated streets.
Hopefully next time it will be better for you! If there is a next time!
Love, Christine
It's yor blog! be yourself. I loved the honesty, and hate that one much always feel like they have to be positive and upbeat for readers. I love that you were so truthful so we know what to expect when we go. Happy future travels!
ReplyDeleteTina
Good honest blog. Thanks for all the good info. The romance versus reality in Venice is portrayed beautifully in your blog. I would still like to visit. I am thinking a tour group from Serbia... cheap trip with time for wondering so I don't have to find much on my own. :)you weren't an Eeore. Don't worry so much about having to be positive. I think lots of us bloggers are concerned with that. but it is over rated! Be honest! it's helpful.
ReplyDeleteI loved Venice but i was totally confused too! love your blog!
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. I am still not enchanted by Rome and all the overwhelming experiences that I faced there. However, Florence and Venice were my favourite cities because of the experiences I had there and not so much the people and waiters.
ReplyDeleteAs long as your are surrounded by good friends who are good at making the most of a situation, it really helps to make a great trip.
The Wanderfull Traveler