Monday, June 13, 2011

Florence: A Model City Pitti Immagine - Fashion Week


Florence’s fashion scene has always been one of that I just don’t quite fit into. As a fashion capital of the world, you can easily find Armani, Valentino and Ferragamo, but what you will not find is The Limited, Anthropology or Urban Outfitters. That is one reason why twice annually, Florence plays host to Pitti Immagine – a week dedicated to top fashion for men, women and children. The big-gun designers spare no expense in their displays and aspiring designers and buyers from all over the world flock to check out the best of the best and the newest of the new, and of course for the parties. 

But designers and buyers aren’t the only people hitting the streets of Florence this week. So are the models. I might actually be jealous of some of these lady models walking around – as I’ve seen about 200 of them in the past 2 hours – if it weren’t for the fact that I am just so amazed. I feel as though I’ve jumped inside the latest Vogue edition and am sneaking my way through the pages unseen. Stick people are real!

I cannot tell you how many times today I have caught myself making up new words, phrases and mere utterances of glee as I pass by some of the male models. Things I have caught myself actually saying out loud: “Hunka hunka!” “Ooga ooga!” “Woouuuzers!” “Mamma santissima!” and “Aiuto!”


Tomorrow’s mission: take as many pictures of the (male) models as possible without looking like a complete dork.

1 comment: