Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Speaking Italian

My Italian is brutal at times and can quite often get me into trouble. I lead conversations in different directions, take away critical points that are completely incorrect and often just start talking jibberish. However, other times, I can hold my own and am actually getting better each day. I can pretty much understand everything I hear (as long as it's not super-speedy-Italiano nonsense) and hold my own in a conversation with a stranger. It's improving, but still needs work. 

I think that by speaking Italian, or at least my feeble attempt at speaking, has led to some really great opportunities and experiences that I may not otherwise have. I've been able to really get to know some locals and been invited to some places and gatherings with Italians that I probably would not have been otherwise. This recent revelation has invigorated me to continue studying Italian and get even better. See, I have seemingly hit a road block as of recently where I have gotten comfortable being able to communicate the things I need to communicate by working my way around the correct conjugations of tenses and using the vocabulary of a 10 year old. 

Allora, here are some of my favorite sayings and things that I love hearing others say:
1. Boh (bohhh)
(My) Definition: "I don't know" "who knows" "eh.."
Example conversation: 
Person 1: I remember meeting this beautiful man last night but can't remember his name or how to find him! 
Person 2: Boh.

2. Any and all cuss words. They're fun to hear and fun to say. If you want to know specifics, you can ask.

3. La coccinella (coach-in-ella)
Definition: ladybug
Example: C'e una coccinella nella finestra. "There is a ladybug in the window."

4. Pazzo (pah-zoh)
Definition: crazy
Example: Che pazzo lui oggi. "He's so crazy today."

5. Bella domanda (do-mahn-dah)
Definition: good question
Just sounds good

Everything sounds better in Italian!

That's all I have for today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment