In the five years I've been living in Italy, I've been fortunate to spend much time in Puglia. The heel of the boot that is Italy, Puglia is a long, narrow region in the southeastern corner of the country, spanning from the Salento Peninsula in the north to the province of Lecce in the south. It's comprised of farmland and rolling hills, the 290-acre Gargano natural park, green pastures dotted with stark white
trulli (pictured below), charming hilltop towns, and miles of shoreline on the Adriatic and Ionian Seas and the Bay of Taranto.
 |
| Trulli - unique houses typical of Alberobello, popular in the 19th Century |
Beyond its natural beauty, Puglia boasts being a gastronomic powerhouse with products and specialties such as
Primitivo and
Negroamaro wines, la
burrata (mozzarella on crack), and
orrecchiete (little ear) pasta. The region is also known for breads like half-bagel-shaped
frisella, as well as both seafood and meat dishes that will blow your mind.
 |
| Ristorante Garibaldi, Corso Vittorio Emmanuele, Martina Franca |
For these reasons and more, it's no surprise that Puglia's popularity as first-class travel destination is increasing at a rapid rate. When I first arrived in Italy, I had never even heard of Puglia. When I first told Florentine friends that I was visiting the region, their eyes lit up and they would say things like, "Bellissima!" or "Stupenda, la Puglia", then immediately ask that I bring back some burrata
per favore. The region is known for its scenery and local foods, however, still not a place often visited.
With the help of Justin Timberlake and Jessica Alba's wedding in 2012, the rise of incredibly talented Pugliese chefs, and publications such as
Travel + Leisure, Puglia is gaining ground as a top European destination for travelers in 2015.
The more I visit Puglia, the more I realize the vastness of this region's beauty and unspoiled treasures. It's impossible for me to describe all of the little towns I've visited without sounding redundant using words like
stunning, beautiful, and
incredible.
Driving around the countryside and exploring towns such as Martina Franca, Ceglie, and Alberobello is unbeatable. There's nothing better than soaking up the scenery and stopping every so often to sample Pugliese specialties at one of the many
masserie (Puglia's version of the
agriturismo, or working farm house and restaurant). Let me tell you, these things are everywhere!
 |
| On a boat near Vieste |
Otranto and Leuca in the south are gorgeous little towns on the sea and and offer unique regional sites such as the
Cathedral of Otranto. Peschici and Vieste in the northern area of the Salento make great playgrounds for children and adult water-lovers with easy access to boat rentals and sandy beaches whether you're staying at a 5-star resort or one of the many family-friendly campgrounds.
As cheesy as it may sound there is truly something for everyone in Puglia. Summer is when it shines, but cities like Grottaglie (the city of ceramics) or lovely Lecce (the Florence of the south) are great any time of year. Still, beaches and masserie are bustling in the summer months and city centers come alive with activity.
One possible explanation for the fact that Puglia has remained such a well-kept secret for so long, and possibly its greatest downfall, is that there's no high-speed train that connects it to other Italian cities like those that connect Rome - Florence - Venice. To get to Puglia by public transportation, you are resigned to slower regional train from Rome or Bologna to Bari or Lecce, taking a minimum of 4 hours. Once you're in Puglia, there is a regional train system that does connect most of the major towns that is cheap and easy to use.
www.fseonline.it There are also great flights on RyanAir to Bari or Brindisi from Pisa, Venice, Milan and Rome. That being said, the car is a great way to go. You can rent a car and make the beautiful drive down to Puglia, or rent a car once you get here for easy and convenient exploration of these unique towns.
I am extremely lucky (something for which I give thanks daily) to be able to explore so much of Puglia and its many riches. I'm thrilled to be creating a variety of Puglia itineraries for travelers in 2015 and hope to take even more of you with me on future explorations.
Contact me to start planning your Puglia adventure or for more information.
More
of my Puglia photos:
 |
| Pugliese bread in Vieste |
 |
| Peschici |
 |
| Motte Montecorvino |
 |
| Leuca |
 |
| Martina Franca |
 |
| Otranto |
 |
| City of Ceramics - Grottaglie |
 |
| Martina Franca |
 |
| Cathedral of Otranto |
No comments:
Post a Comment