Sunday, May 13, 2012

Thanks, Dorothy!

Obviously I am a jack of all traits, and one of my jobs is with a company called Piccell selling cell phones to study abroad students. The other day I was manning the lobby of a busy hotel on Via Cavour as 60 students arrived throughout the day for orientation sessions. I had a table set up, a banner, a cute little display and my computer, so I suppose I was official looking. Apparently enough to make any and all hotel guests feel comfortable enough to approach with wonderful and interesting questions. "Where is the nearest Internet point?" "Where is the nearest ATM?" "Where is the nearest Internet point?"...

My favorite request of the day has been from Dorothy. She is an older woman from Australia traveling on her own. She doesn't have a cell phone and she doesn't "do" emails. She asked how she could send a letter or message to her family just to let them know she's alright. She did have the email of her friend written down in her purse. So I offered to write the friend an email that they could pass on to her kids. (Her message included things like, "I'm fit and well" and "I've only been lost once." Signed, Mum. Awesome.)

Then just for sending an email that took about 30 seconds (during my typing she proclaimed, "Oh my, you're so good at that!"), she presented me with a few tokens from Australia! Two keychains - one the Australian flag, and the other a koala that clips onto your pen. LOVE THEM and really enjoyed Dorothy as well. 

I love getting to meet people like Dorothy. Made my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment