Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Va a Varese

This Easter weekend I went to Varese in the north of Italy with Piero to visit his family for Easter. We left Florence Friday afternoon and arrived in Varese just in time for dinner. It's an easy train ride from Florence actually. North of Milan about 30 minutes, Varese lies basically on the border of Italy and Switzerland. It's a stone's throw from Lake Como, surrounded by other lakes, and at the foot of the southern Alps.

Lake just outside of Varese - Look across to Switzerland!
I was excited to venture north if only for the hopes of finding taller people and bigger shoes. I've been looking for size 10 (41!) for weeks now in Florence and am coming up empty handed. I decided that the closer I am to Switzerland and Germany, the closer I am to finding bigger people and clothes as well. Turns out I was right - taller people and bought myself some size 41 black ballets. Nice.

The city itself is lovely with open streets, lovely buildings and a nice little touch of Swiss influence in the architecture and overall feel. It's very clean as well, which is more Swiss than Italian. The city has 100,000 inhabitants (taller than the average Italian bears) and is easy to walk through in a few minutes. Plus it's full of stores! From designer names to everyday stores, the entire center is filled with beautiful shops and boutiques. 

Overall I highly recommend a trip to Varese if you can make it!

Photos from the weekend and other spring activities

No comments:

Post a Comment