Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish Eyes

Note! I have changed the URL for my blog to SliceOfTuscany.blogspot.com to reflect my new business venture. Please don't lose me!

----
This week was the week of festivities. Yesterday was the 150th anniversary of Italy becoming a united nation as well as one of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day. Wednesday evening the streets of Florence were packed with people, mostly Italians, gathering together to show their national pride and celebrate Fourth of July style. Now, the pictures and information I have seen are all second hand as I fell sleep early and missed all the pomp and circumstance. But it all looked very cool - red, white and green lights across the Ponte Vecchio and lighting up Palazzo Vecchio. Free concerts in the streets, and fireworks lighting up the sky. Bello.

Ponte Vecchio
Yesterday was my day. I was up early and ready to go. I donned my green and hit the streets in search of fellow partiers. Unfortunately, this is what I found:

Definition of LAME
What an ironic dilemma. And it was 11 a.m.! It wasn't at least 4 p.m. that the Irish pubs opened their doors and welcomed in people of all nations for some poorly poured Guiness and green (Mexican) beers. The main difference I found between being in Kansas City and being in Florence, is that my late-night pizza run here was truly fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment