| Buon Anno! |
![]() |
| Ciao Roma |
| Family and Enzo (who would like to be family) |
Beginning with the cooking, my first tries in the kitchen came from Andrea who taught me how to make his famous pizza dough and who gave me excellent directions on eggplant parmesan, both of which I tried out with my family while home. I think I did alright. My latest attempt was ribollita, or Tuscan bread soup. You can call it minestrone or poor man's soup, but whatever you want to call it, it's delicioso. Especially this week because I have been feeling under the weather, I want nothing else, only my warm bread soup. After ordering it at restaurants all week, on Wednesday I decided that I would try it on my own. I watched a few videos on youtube so I would know what to pick up at the store on my way home. Each video was different, but basically it's just vegetables and stale bread. After stocking up, I got into the kitchen and went to work. I once told my mother that anyone can cook if they simply can read and follow directions. I have in recent years found this to be blindly ignorant. Cooking takes a lot of practice, a dash of creativity and slice of raw talent.
After missing three main ingredients and adding my own flair in the form of red wine and sage, I had something that I was a bit fearful of what was bubbling on the stove. I also had two brave souls who were there to help me test it. Although it was not exactly the ribollita from Il Santo Bevitore, it was actually quite good. My seal of approval came from Andrea, the chef, who told me he was very surprised because it was actually very good (as proven by his three helpings). Here is the video I based my soup on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4OjLIinMo **
I am hoping that 2011 turns out like the ribollita: a lot of different things going on at once, but with time to stew, might turn into something pretty good.
**My ribollita: missing cabbage and celery; my bread was moist instead of stale; I added garlic, red wine, rosemary, sage, broccoli, and instead of diced tomatoes mine was a tomato sauce with small diced pieces.

Indeed, cooking without that dash of raw talent is really just "making food." I make LOTS of food! I would be glad to volunteer my little family for your first official trip planning, you crafty businesswoman! I'll write you a fantastic testimonial. Love you. I wish I could be there tomorrow!
ReplyDelete