The day started off pretty normal. I woke up around 7, snoozed it for an hour then finally went to work at 9. I worked on some marketing at the office then went with Christine to do a check in. I believe this is where my day takes a turn. We took bikes across town in the rain to check people into an apartment. I didn't have a hat and I was wearing my glasses today. So while trying to guide the bike through thousands of tourists, was wiping water off my glasses and trying to hold an umbrella which ended up flipping inside out a few times before I gave up. So whatever, I made it, it was fine.
Then I returned to the office to gather my things and was craving some warm soup. Not only do I have a cold, but today has been pretty chilly as well. So while walking home I passed by The Diner which advertised tomato bisque. Sold. I entered, grabbed a table by myself and ordered a bowl of bisque and a sprite. Soon after, a table of 10 Australians came and sat beside me. I estimated they were 5 couples around the age of 55. There was a man sitting diagonally from me, who proceeded to stare at me the entire duration of my lunch. Just staring! I looked at him with a scowl at first as if to say, "Back off, mate. This is my bisque." But to no avail. Then I decided I would just block him out and hold my left hand in front of my face. Peeking over it, I saw he was still staring. Grrrr. It was time to pull out the big guns. I placed my spoon on the side of my bowl, took a swig of Sprite then it was game on. I proceeded to engage in a staring contest with the determined Aussie. I held eye contact and didn't budge for a good minute. 60 seconds! But he was relentless. He didn't crack. Just held his position until finally I caved under the pressure. I looked back at my bowl, took another savory bite then beat it. You win this round, creep.
Skip ahead a few hours and I was off to meet Nico for an apartment check-in just across Ponte Vecchio. As I'm crossing the old bridge, I spot a woman who looks alarmingly similar to Bonnie Hunt. I stop in my tracks, but keep the safe distance of about 4 feet. I circle her a few times and am giggling. She pretended not to notice me and was taking pictures of everything around her. I questioned myself a few times because nobody else seemed to notice her. Finally, I made my move. I went up to her fully expecting her to make me laugh hysterically with some witty banter and possibly invite me to dinner (being a fellow American and all) or some fabulous famous-people party. I said, "Excuse me, but are you Bonnie Hunt?" She replied, "Yes." I said, "Oh okay. I was just curious. Enjoy your day." "You too," she told me. Then I walked off thinking to myself, "Wow, now I know Bonnie Hunt!"
After the check-in I decided it was time for some new makeup. Making my way through the center, which was pretty sunny and full of people at 6:00 p.m., I decided it was the perfect day to do two things that really bring me joy. Number 1 - give a running high-five. Number 2 - photo bomb. Both are extremely easy to accomplish in the center. First of all there are tour guides everywhere walking around with umbrellas or signs in the air, which signal 30-50 people to follow them through crowds of thousands. However, my favorites are those who just use their hands leaving me a wide open target. Upon exiting the makeup store, I spotted an unsuspecting woman leading a group and decided to make my day. Ran, jumped, made perfect contact....then just kept running. Which actually made it easier to accomplish Number 2. In jogging mode still, I entered Piazza Signoria where I was able to walk right behind posing couples, jump up behind families and walk right in front of flashing cameras. Hehe. I mean, they can always take another one. I figure that one day in the future, I will be in at least a couple hundred family albums all over the world!
It's just been one of those crack-head cold days.
I am so sorry about work in the rain! We need to buy jackets with proper hoods! Just get ready, it rained for 5 months straight last year! I betcha 20 euros you buy a ugly puffy coat! Rest up & Feel better! xx
ReplyDeleteSally! We had that sickness too! Whooooo started it?
ReplyDeleteI would have told Bonnie that I loved her work in Beethoven. (I love her work in other things, too, but let's get serious those movies are awesome.)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Laughing out loud picturing your running high fiving and photobombing. Gosh, I like you.
I like how you think 4 feet is a non creepy distance. You might as well have been the ogling Australian!
ReplyDeleteIt's cool you know Bonnie Hunt now. But if you start bringing her around, you won't be the funny one anymore.